Case over children’s poisoning in Dagestan reaches court

In Dagestan’s Karabudakhkent District, a criminal case against the head of the private Chudo kindergarten in the village of Paraul, where 10 children suffered carbon monoxide poisoning in February, has been sent to court, the republic’s prosecutor’s office said.

The woman is accused of providing services that failed to meet safety requirements for consumers’ lives and health. The case will be heard by the Karabudakhkent District Court.

According to investigators, the kindergarten’s head personally installed an open-type gas stove burner on the premises, although such equipment is permitted only in non-residential open spaces.

Investigators found that the building had no ventilation ducts, the gas equipment was not properly monitored and the required inspections had not been carried out. As a result, combustion products accumulated inside the building.

The incident occurred on February 2. Ten children attending the kindergarten were hospitalised with carbon monoxide poisoning. By February 4, all of them had been discharged from hospital.

Following the incident, Rospotrebnadzor, Russia’s consumer protection watchdog, closed and sealed the childcare centre and also asked a court to suspend its operations.

An inspection also found that the single-storey building rented by the businesswoman to house the kindergarten had been constructed without the required permits. The prosecutor’s office asked a court to order the demolition of the building.

Dagestan saw another incident at a preschool earlier this year. On January 14, a fire completely destroyed the Uylybka kindergarten and auxiliary buildings in the village of Karata in Akhvakhsky District. A short circuit was cited as one possible cause. The building’s automatic fire alarm system was not functioning at the time of the fire.

Последние новости
Case over children’s poisoning in Dagestan reaches court
Society
Case over children’s poisoning in Dagestan reaches court
22 August 2026

In Dagestan’s Karabudakhkent District, a criminal case against the head of the private Chudo kindergarten in the village of Paraul, where 10 children suffered carbon monoxide poisoning in February, has been sent to court, the republic’s prosecutor’s office said.
The woman is accused of providing services that failed to meet safety requirements for consumers’ lives and health. The case will be heard by the Karabudakhkent District Court.

 

Armenia sets foreign policy priorities through 2031
Politics
Armenia sets foreign policy priorities through 2031
22 August 2026

The Armenian government plans over the next five years to formalise peace with Azerbaijan, establish diplomatic relations with Turkey and simultaneously deepen cooperation with the European Union and the United States. These goals are included in the government’s 2026–2031 programme presented by Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan, Armenian media report.

Russian security forces seize body of Ingushetia resident at Mineralnye Vody airport and detain those who came to meet it
Human rights
Russian security forces seize body of Ingushetia resident at Mineralnye Vody airport and detain those who came to meet it
22 August 2026

Russian security forces seized at Mineralnye Vody airport the body of Ingushetia native Ilyas Belkharoев, who died in Poland, and detained two men who had come to meet it. Belkharoев’s relatives intended to bury him in Ingushetia, but his body has not yet been handed over to the family.

Exhibition on Deportation of Meskhetian Turks Opens in Baku
History
Exhibition on Deportation of Meskhetian Turks Opens in Baku
22 August 2026

An exhibition titled Meskhetian Turks — In the Footsteps of a Lost Exile, dedicated to the 1944 deportation of Meskhetian Turks from their ancestral homeland and their subsequent dispersal across different countries, has opened in Azerbaijan’s capital, Baku.